Starburst mirror !

                               How I made a Starburst Mirror

When I was decorating the living room last year and adding idea's to my ever growing Pinterest board I was pinning lots of pictures of Mid Century furniture as that was the look I was interested in and Starburst mirrors kept making an appearance.  I really liked  the look but not the price !




So I decided to have a go at making one myself. I headed for YouTube and there were loads of lovely people showing you how it's done. I took inspo from a few of them and set about looking for a round mirror and some kebab sticks. I also got out the glue gun and rummaged through the recycling for some cardboard.

round mirror , kebab sticks and a hot glue gun


So, start with a circle of cardboard slightly smaller than your mirror. My mirror was 25 cms in diameter and the kebab sticks were 30 cms long. With the glue gun ready to go I glued the end of the sticks onto the edge of the cardboard about 2-3 cms in. I had an idea of a certain pattern and worked in groups of different lengths of sticks. Then with the hot glue gun stick the back of the mirror on to the cardboard base.  If the back of your mirror is very flat you could glue them straight on. 



Gluing the sticks on to the cardboard base

I then flipped it over when I was happy with my design ready for the fun bit of turning it all gold. I did think about copper or maybe you could do silver depending on your decor. Any spray paint will do from your local craft or DIY shop.


  kebab sticks glued on and the mirror glued into place 

A few coats of gold spray paint


 You will need to glue wire or string to the back of your mirror to hang it.




Finished result !! 
I now want to paint the wall behind a lovely deep colour !

Comments

  1. I love your DIY project! It's great that you took inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube to create your own Sunburst mirror. Your resourcefulness in finding materials like a round mirror, kebab sticks, and recycled cardboard is impressive. The process of using a glue gun to bring it all together must have been a fun adventure. Your self-made Sunburst mirror adds a personal touch to your living room decor and showcases your creativity. Well done!




    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Been busy !!

I love a bit of upcycling !